In 2018, immigrants worldwide sent over $600 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed Africans in the US, the UK, and Canada to send money instantly to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, Bangladesh, Ghana, Tanzania, and Nigeria saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
How you'll help us achieve it
Day-to-day you’ll work with a cross-functional group of engineers, data scientists, marketers and designer to understand opportunities, spec out potential solutions and prioritize improvements to our iOS and Android apps with such goals as: improving conversion or retention rates, adding new growth opportunities in the form of supporting new markets, making it faster and easier for an existing user to manage their transactions etc...
To achieve objectives like these, you’ll work hand-in-hand with the engineering lead on the team to ensure that sprints are planned, backlogs groomed, and that the engineers are able to operate as effectively as possible. You’ll work with the rest of the product team to ensure that your roadmap is aligned with the overall goals of the company and product. Together with our designer you’ll conduct user research. You’ll frame questions and use our various analytic tools / platforms including Heap and Periscope to answer them. You’ll define, setup and run experiments both natively in-app as well as with Braze. You’ll work with support to understand issues users are facing and prioritize solving them.
- You’ve managed the full life-cycle of core features of a web or mobile product in the past and you probably have 5+ of professional product management experience ideally in a high-growth, rapidly changing environment.
- You are comfortable designing and conducting user research and you know when small n qualitative research is ideal and when you need large n quantitative.
- You know how to develop, clearly communicate and then drive implementation of a product roadmap by prioritizing ruthlessly and making complex tradeoffs thoughtfully and collaboratively together with Engineering, Marketing and other stakeholders.
- You have experience implementing and operating growth oriented tools such as Braze and Heap and you can demonstrate how you have used these tools in the past to drive product growth or impact other KPIs.
- You have strong analytics skills and are not afraid to learn or use new tools, write SQL in Periscope, dig through tickets in Zendesk, fire up a Jupyter notebook, dig into some python code or do what ever else it takes for you to frame questions and get data quickly so you and your teams can better understand a problem and prioritize solutions.
- You are excited about working remotely and have the skills and self discipline to do so effectively.
- You have a willingness to travel 4 weeks / year to meet with your team and the rest of the company.
You might be a good fit if you
- You aspire to lead and develop true product teams, not feature teams.
- Are a creative and flexible problem solver, and interested in finding the best solutions for our particular needs
- Like getting in the weeds and making projects happen
- Are excited about multiple kinds of work and want to help out where it’s needed
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change.
Bonus points if you
- Have experience in fintech.
- Understand and can apply iOS, Android and web platform design principles and best-practices.
- Location: Our company is 100% remote. You can be based anywhere in the the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, France or Belgium.
- This is a permanent position and reports to the Head of Product
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Our team of 50-odd engineers, finance & compliance professionals, marketers, & people ops professionals as well as nearly 60 customer support personnel are fully distributed across North America, Europe, and Africa — working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- Each quarter, we go on a five-day retreat together. In 2018, we've been to Vancouver, BC (Canada), Lisbon (Portugal), Austin, TX (USA) and Burlington, VT (USA).
- We play in bands, teach dance classes, run Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We're backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Sendwave below. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Wave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.